The Hungry Lion
- Thursday, May 31, 20:00 Naxoshalle Kino
- Japan 2017, DCP, 78 min, Japanese with English subtitles
- Director: Takaomi OGATA
- Script: Takaomi OGATA, Fuki IKEDA
- Production: paranoidkitchen
- Camera: Kenichi NEGISHI
- World sales: Geta Films
- Cast: Urara MATSUBAYASHI, Atomu MIZUISHI, Mariko TSUTSUI, Sakiko KATO, Nanami HIDAKA
- German premiere
- Competition Nippon Visions Jury Award and Nippon Visions Audience Award
After one of Hiromi’s teachers is arrested for having sex with a minor, a leaked video reveals another affair of his. Soon rumors spread that Hiromi is the girl in the video, leading her classmates and the media to create a public figure out of her which, inevitably, leads to disaster. Using a distant and undramatised style, Takaomi OGATA presents a biting commentary on the age of fake news.
Takaomi OGATA, born 1981 in Fukuoka, began producing movies in 2009. His directing debut, NEVER ENDING BLUE (2011), was the runner-up for the grand prize at the Okinawa Film Festival. His fourth film THE HUNGRY LION had its premiere at the Tokyo International Film Festival in 2017.
2009 Never Ending Blue (Owaranai ao); 2011 Body Temperature (Taion); 2013 Sunk Into The Womb (Shikyu ni shizumeru / NC ’14)
- Supporting film: SKIP CITY PRESENTS: A GIRL UNTOUCHABLE
- by Hidetaka KOMUKAI, J 2016, 16 min, Japanese with English subtitles
- International premiere in the presence of the director and the crew member Shoko TAJIMA
In preparation for their college entrance exams, Shun and Tatsuya look for a place where they can concentrate on their studies. They arrive at a mountain inn, but Shun falls in love with Nagi, a shrine maiden who works at the inn and his concentration is broken.