Sword of Doom
- Saturday, June 2, 20:00 German Film Museum
(Tickets only available at the German Film Museum)
- Japan 1966, 35mm, 120 min, Japanese with English subtitles, released to age 16 or older
- Director: Kihachi OKAMOTO
- Script: Shinobu HASHIMOTO based on a novel by Kaizan NAKAZATO
- Camera: Hiroshi MURAI
- Cast: Toshiro MIFUNE, Tatsuya NAKADAI, Yuzo KAYAMA
- Production: Takarazuka Motion Pictures Co.
- World sales: Toho
- Film copy: Japan Foundation
- With an introduction by Chris MaGee
Set during the last days of Japanese shogunate, sword master Ryunosoke fights with a ruthless and unorthodox style. After killing his opponent in a fateful battle, he flees with the dead man’s wife to join a group of assassins. Trapped in a circle of death and violence, he slowly goes mad. Kihachi OKAMOTO’s dark samurai epic is a visually stunning depiction of meaningless violence, and a genuine classic to boot.