- Friday, June 1, 17:30 Mal Seh’n Kino
- Saturday, June 2, 14:00 Mousonturm Saal
- Japan 2018, DCP, 118 min, Japanese with English subtitles
- Director: Isao YUKISADA
- Script: Misaki SETOYAMA based on a manga by Kyoko OKAZAKI
- Production: Thefool
- Camera: Kenji MAKI
- World sales: Kino Films
- Cast: Fumi NIKAIDO, Ryo YOSHIZAWA, Aoi MORIKAWA, Shuhei UESUGI, Sumire
- In the presence of the director
A body found on the shore of a nearby river, a gay student who is saved from bullying classmates by his best friend, male prostitution, and an unwanted pregnancy lead to a spiral of violence in Isao YUKISADA’s newest addition to the Japanese coming-of-age drama. RIVER’S EDGE, an adaptation of a popular comic from 1993, is a dark and pessimistic portrayal of Japan’s youth.
Isao YUKISADA was born in Kumamoto Prefecture in 1968. He attended Toho Gakuen Film Techniques College and worked as an assistant director to Shunji IWAI, among others. His second feature film SUNFLOWER (2000) won the prestigious FIPRESCI award at the 5th Busan International Film Festival. YUKISADA has also made a name for himself as a theater director.
1998 Open House; 2000 Sunflower (Himawari); 2001 Go; 2004 Crying Out Love, in the Center of the World (Sekai no chushin de, ai o sakebu / NC ’05); 2010 Parade; 2013 Before the Vigil (Tsuya no yoru); 2014 The Roand Table (Entaku kokko, hitonatsu no imajin / NC ’15); 2015 Pink and Grey (Pinku to gure / NC ’16)