Passage of Life
- Friday, June 1, 19:30 Naxoshalle Kino CANCELLED
- EXTRA SCREENINGS (admission free!):
Saturday, June 2, 18:30 Mousonturm, Studio 1 and 00:15 Uhr Naxoshalle Kino
Boku no kaeru basho
- Japan / Myanmar 2017, DCP, 98 min, Japanese with English subtitles
- Director & script: Akio FUJIMOTO
- Production & World sales: E.x.N K.K.
- Camera: Kentaro KISHI
- Cast: Kaung MYAT THU, Khin MYAT THU, Issace, Htet MYAT NAING, Yuki KITAGAWA
- German premiere
- Competition Nippon Visions Jury Award and Nippon Visions Audience Award
Burmese boy Kaung and his family emigrated to Japan with the hope for a better life. They have lived in Tokyo for years, but never obtained a visum. The daily strain of their illegal residence eventually starts to tear the family apart. Based on a true story and filled with empathy and poignancy, PASSAGE OF LIFE tells the story of a family facing imminent separation from each other – maybe forever.
Born in 1988 in Osaka, the Japanese-Burmese director Akio FUJIMOTO studied at the Visual Arts Academy Osaka. During his studies, he shot his first short film PSYCHEDELIC FAMILY (2012), which received many positive reviews at international film festivals. His first feature film PASSAGE OF LIFE won the Best Asian Future Film Award as well as the Spirit of Asia Award at the Tokyo International Film Festival in 2017.
- Supporting film: HERE AND ELSEWHERE, ON AND ON
- by Yoshimasa JIMBO, J 2017, 18 min, Japanese with English subtitles, EP