Mary and the Witch’s Flower
- Thursday, May 31, 15:30 Mal Seh’n Kino
(with German live voice over)
- Friday, June 1, 12:00 Mousonturm Saal
Meari to majo no hana
- Japan 2017, DCP, 102 min, Japanese with German subtitles, released to age 6 or older
- Director: Hiromasa YONEBAYASHI
- Script: Hiromasa YONEBAYASHI, Riko SAKAGUCHI based on a novel by Mary Stewart
- Production: Studio Ponoc
- Distribution: peppermint anime
- Voice actors: Hana SUGISAKI, Ryunosuke KAMIKI, Yuki AMAMI, Fumiyo KOHINATA, Hikari MITSUSHIMA
Little Mary Smith moves to her great-aunt where she finds a magic flower: it turns her normal brush into a witches’ broom. It leads Mary to a secret witch academy above the clouds where her quiet life is turned upside down very quickly. For MARY AND THE WITCH’S FLOWER, Hiromasa YONEBAYASHI cooperated with Studio Ponoc, founded by former Ghibli-animators.
Hiromasa YONEBAYASHI, born 1973 in Ishikawa prefecture, studied at the Kanagawa College of Art. After graduation he worked as an animator for the famous Studio Ghibli, where he contributed to films such as PRINCESS MONONOKE and the oscar-winning SPIRITED AWAY. With ARIETTY he debuted as director in 2010.
2010 Arrietty – Die wundersame Welt der Borger (Karigurashi no Arietti / NC ’11); 2014 Erinnerungen an Marnie (Omoide no Mani / NC ’16)