Birds Without Names
- Wednesday, May 30, 17:15 Mousonturm Saal
Kanojo ga sono na o shiranai toritachi
- Japan 2017, DCP, 123 min, Japanese with English subtitles
- Director: Kazuya SHIRAISHI
- Script: Taeko ASANO based on a novel by Mahokaru NUMATA
- Production: C&I Entertainment
- Camera: Takahiro HAIBARA
- World sales: Nikkatsu
- Cast: Yu AOI, Sadao ABE, Tori MATSUZAKA, Yutaka TAKENOUCHI, Eri MURAKAWA
- German premiere
- Competition Nippon Cinema Award
Even though he abused her and she hasn’t seen him for eight years, Towako still pines for her ex-boyfriend Kurosaki, and despises her current partner, Jinji. When she begins having an affair with a married man, she realizes she’s being spied on. At the same time, she also learns that Kurosaki has been missing for several years. This dark tale of dysfunctional relationships is carried by a strong cast led by Yu AOI.
Kazuya SHIRAISHI, born in Hokkaido in 1974, attended a private film school and has worked as an assistant to Koji WAKAMATSU, Isao YUKISADA, and Isshin INUDO. LOST PARADISE IN TOKYO (2009) is his debut as a director. His feature THE DEVIL’S PATH brought him a Japanese Academy Awards nomination in 2014.
2009 Lost Paradise in Tokyo; 2013 The Devil’s Path (Kyoaku); 2016 Twisted Justice (Nihon de ichiban warui yatsura); 2016 Dawn of the Felines (Mesunekotachi / NC ’17); 2018 The Blood of Wolves (Koro no chi / siehe S.13); Sunny / 32